Under the functional and administrative direction of the Chief Operating Officer, the Head of IT will provides functional management and operational supervision of Information and Communication Technology and related services. The incumbent shall plan, organize, staff, direct and control Information Technology services and operations within the Hospitals Units and Departments; leads and directs Information Technology strategic planning activities; provides specialized technical expertise and direction regarding healthcare medical, business and clinical systems; manages our clients Hospitals activities pertaining to applications development, maintenance, data processing, Local and Wide area network administration, office automation, and technical support; coordinates activities with other departments and external agencies; and performs other related duties as may be assigned from time to time. Distinguishing Characteristics of our clients Hospitals’ technology requirement is healthcare systems focus, requiring the incumbent to have advanced and specialized knowledge of healthcare-specific information technology systems, familiarity with complex hospital enterprise applications, and experience addressing the unique security and confidentiality requirements of the healthcare environment. He/She shall be required to have a working knowledge of the following:
1. The general range of operations, services and activities of a hospital serving the needs of a large community
2. The concepts and principles of emerging technologies within the healthcare, medical, clinical and business fields.
3. Pertinent laws, codes and regulations related to healthcare information management; JCI, HIPPA etc and other regulations pertaining to data security/privacy in Healthcare
4. Working knowledge of a complex enterprise Hospital Information Systems platform.
5. Research and evaluate new technology in healthcare, medical, clinical and business functions; read and interpret system plans and specifications associate with the implementation and/or purchase of major systems. Roles and Responsibilities
1. Analyzes and assesses current and proposed information technology plans; directs, oversees and manages the development, design, implementation and maintenance of automated information systems to ensure the achievement of strategic technology requirements and needs of Hospital
2. Assumes full management responsibility for information and communication technology functions and services at our clients Hospitals units and its affiliate work-site clinics; ensures appropriate implementation and support for medical, business and clinical systems by managing and coordinating applications development/maintenance, data processing, local/wide area network administration, office automation and technical support activities.
3. Participates in the information technology strategic planning activities; identifies and defines short and long-range automated system requirements; coordinates departmental input and technology planning processes; develops and recommends organization-wide information technology goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
4. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of our clients Hospitals’ information technology methods and procedures; develops, maintains and implements programming standards, quality control procedures and related processes to ensure that all information technologies comply with standard processes for a large Hospital Group.
5. Serves as the technical resource and project manager on information technology projects; reviews and approves project plans; designs project and resource plans and schedules; develops proposals using cost/benefit analyses; analyzes and recommends equipment purchase or lease; coordinates the installation and evaluation of proposed hardware and software to ensure compatibility with existing systems; coordinates and directs programming activities; manages and resolves network performance and capacity issues; analyzes and recommends contractor and/or vendor services as appropriate; directs, coordinates, monitors and evaluates contractor and vendor performance; directs members of the project team; resolves difficult and complex technology issues; ensures compliance with budget and project goals/objectives.
6. Prepares complex analytical and management reports; makes presentations to individuals and groups; directs and oversees administrative activities within assigned areas.
7. Plans and supervises the development and delivery of training programs for management, staff and technical personnel on the use and maintenance of automated systems and equipment.
8. Works with Business units Managers and departmental heads to discover, design and implement information technology process improvements, streamlining units and departmental functionalities.
9. Selects, trains and supervises subordinate staff; plans, directs, coordinates and reviews staff work plans; assigns work activities, projects and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, procedures and performance; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems; initiates and implements disciplinary procedures as necessary.
10. Oversees and participates in the development of information technology budget, including capital expenses pertaining to technology projects; develops forecasts for
funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors expenditures and implements budget adjustments; analyzes major technology purchases to determine their effect on the existing environment and their compatibility with strategic directions; reviews contracts for capital equipment and information technology services to help ensure consistency with business strategy.
Qualifications A combination of experience, education, and/or training which substantially demonstrates the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Management of various information technology programs and activities within a large hospital environment.
2. Application of a highly complex technical principles and concepts to develop solutions for hospital medical, clinical and business functions.
3. Establishment and maintenance of cooperative working relationships with others including physicians, nurses, administrators, managers, vendors, contractors and other health care industry personnel.
Experience Eight (8) years of increasingly responsible professional analytical experience pertaining to the design, development, implementation, operation and maintenance of a large and complex information system within a hospital setting, including at least two years in a supervisory or operational management capacity.
1. Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, information systems, mathematics, business administration, or a related field.
3. Strong database administration and management skills particularly MS SQL and versatility in database security.
4. Deep knowledge of Local and Internet working (LAN, WAN) and Information Security